Oh Boy. Can’t remember when I last posted, but a zillion things have happened since. We’ve been looking at property in Arizona and Idaho. We have walked through properties in the Prescott Valley area and the Boise area. After spending a few weeks in Idaho for the Christmas of 2016, we had pretty much decided on Idaho. Well, Eloise decided for the both of us. Adam and Macie went up to the Boise area to be with me for my 43rd birthday. They loved it up there. Adam thinks of Kalifornia about the same as I, so he had already been thinking of moving to Montana. By the spring of 2017, they started looking for a place in Boise. Adam sent me information and a website that showed a house that they were interested in. Almost before I could give an opinion, they announced that when their lease in Vallejo was up, they were moving! So they leapfrogged us. That solidified Idaho over Arizona for us. Then they went to Alaska and called us to let us know that they were to be married in 2 days. So Eloise scrapped all of the wedding plans and waited for pictures of the wedding.
We have been traveling to the Boise area looking at properties all year. Adam and Macie rented a 3 bedroom house, so we have had awesome (bed and breakfast) hosts for every time that we spent time there. I can’t remember the last “white Christmas” that we have had, so I scheduled time off to go up and spend a few weeks with our son and his now pregnant wife! Amanda and her girls stayed in Sacramento so that Amanda could keep Airless open for me. She is in training to be the manager as well as a service technician. In order to give the newlyweds their space, we rented a cottage to stay in, up in Eagle. While up in Boise, I would get up and get to Adam’s around 7am. Adam starts his day at 5am, as that is 7am on the east coast. I would be there absorbing as much as possible until around 1 or 2pm. Then Eloise and I would meet our realtor and look at property. The first day, we went to 7 properties! It was exhausting to say the least. By the second week, we had looked at so many that when we were talking about them, we were getting the properties confused. We would have to relook at the pictures and data and even then some facts would get crossed up. Prior to this trip, we had made offers on 2 properties. On one, we were out bid. On the other, we were the high offer, but the owner refused to sell to us because we were from the Republic of Kalifornia!
Success at last
We have been looking at properties in the outlying areas west of Boise. Boise is way too big. We have looked at many houses in Nampa, both in town and on the edge of town. We preferred the town of Caldwell and the areas around it. We looked at homes as far north as Fruitland and Payette. Then we found the rural area of Parma. On the way south edge of what they refer to as Parma was the “view house”. Oh man, what a view. This house was on our list until the very end. Then we went to look at an old, small house in “downtown” Parma. Parma has a population of 1900. This house was built in 1921. For those of you that visited us around the time that Adam was born, just remember our house on Bush Street. It was built in 1896. Very similar floor plans. This house in Parma had been recently renovated and was ready to move in. We decided to make an offer. This quant Craftsman style house is a 2 Bedroom, 1.5 bath with 2 more “bedroom” areas in the basement. However, it still had single paned windows. Our offer took that into consideration. After negotiating back and forth, they decided that we weren’t smart enough to recognize the games that they wanted to play. When talking to our realtor she presented their third counter offer. Before she could even finish, I told her “No”. They have 24 hours to accept our first offer as the latter ones are now “off the table”. Otherwise “they can go pound sand”. I had to apologize to her later….. The latter offers would have netted them thousands more, but they were greedy and I was out of patience and done with them.
While we were looking at the aforementioned property, I had asked our realtor if she could contact the owner of the property across the street. It was a mess, but was vacant and it looked like someone was starting to clean it up. She found the owner and got us in to see it the two days later. We were still negotiating on the previous house. This house was a wreck. In fact, I started referring to it as the “wreck house” as we couldn’t remember the address.
This one was built in 1918!! Hey the same year as Dad! And so, “Yes”, on the 25th hour after the offer on the house across the street, we made a low ball offer on the house with the stipulation that they quit whatever they were doing and just made sure that the roof didn’t leak, the water was connected and not leaking and the electric power wouldn’t burn it down. They had no clue on what they were doing. I think that they had come to the same conclusion, as within 24 hours, they accepted our offer. So now we are just waiting for the final inspection. I think that Eloise and I will have to drive back up within a few weeks for that inspection, measure the rooms and property lines and to sign the final papers. I have talked to brother Larry about our plans and have started the floor plans on my computer. Larry will design the new front and rear porch elevations and will consult on the master bath. I need to get the true dimensions of all of the rooms for the floor plan too. The unfinished basement will get a bedroom and full bathroom too. The problem with having Larry help is that when discussing the hot tub and gazebo, he presented the idea of heating the new 40’ covered concrete walkway from the back door to the garage! And we are considering it!